Friday, April 20, 2012

From homeschool to public school

Two+ weeks ago, it became abundantly clear (spiritually speaking) that Jonzy needs to be in school next year.  As in- no longer homeschooled.
I won't go into details (because it's a long story that, frankly, I just don't feel like sharing with the world at large).  So I hope, World, you will be content to know that Jonz' mother and father have studied it out and followed God's direction for him and his education.  For kindergarten and first grade, he needed to homeschool.  For second grade and the foreseeable future, he needs to be in school.  Simple as that.

But people don't seem to want to accept it as that simple.

I enjoy sharing this news with the nearest and dearest.  They trust completely that we have done and will do what is best for our children and share our excitement for this new stage of life for us.

But everyone else is not as trusting.  And really, why should they be?  They hardly know us!  (I sure don't like when those who know us don't trust us.  Rare, but it happens.)

I've been scared to tell others. 

I'm afraid of that the homeschooling community will think we're quitters, making a dumb decision.  And I'm worried that all those people who have told me over the years that they could never homeschool will think I can't either and take it as confirmation that hs-ing is stupid and so am I for "trying" it. 

Add to that the fact that Jonz is going to a school out of our boundaries and we're still the snooty family who "think themselves too good for the rest of us." 

And so, I think I've come to a decision.  I'm not volunteering the news anymore.  I truly believe that most people mean well; that they want the best for my kids just like I do.  But so often I feel like they don't trust me as the mom because our life's path is different from their experience of what was best for their children.  It is hard to internalize that "what's best for me and mine isn't best for everyone else" concept; I struggle with it, too.  Since it's obviously a struggle most of us face, I'll make it easier by just keeping the info to myself and let it become known naturally.  The truly curious will seek out some understanding from us.  The ones who don't care will go right on with life.  And the ones who want to believe untrue things will make up their own conclusions anyway.

Everybody wins!

And here?  Well, I've wished for someone to relate to and get advice from who has been in the homeschool to public school situation.  Haven't found one (I think I might know one, but I haven't had a chance to ask her and make sure yet).  So occasionally I'm going to write about some of what we experience here.  Perhaps someone who does the same thing in the future will find this in an internet search and benefit from what we learn on this new path.

Thanks for listening:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck on your new adventure Lindsey! You are right - It is hard to do what you feel is best for your child, when you feel you will be judged unfairly. Big hugs to you for being brave and following your own personal revelation.

Emnacnud said...

2 of my sil's did/doing this, one did it a long time ago, and one is starting school next year just like Jones. So know that you are not alone and it is between you guys and the lord, it does not matter what others think, I do hope you feel that we are on the understanding side though 'cause we are. So much fun last night I hope it was as fun for you.

Lindsey said...

Thank you, Dana!

And Emily, we definitely count you and Joe at the top of the nearest and dearest:)