Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Ah, it's Thursday again.

Considering how Monday through Wednesday went around here, I'm shocked that Thursday even came about. It's been quite a looooooong week.

This Thursday I am thankful that my boys are all in bed and asleep before ten pm. Yes, it's been a very long week.

We moved the twins out of cribs almost two weeks ago. We have turned Jonz' room into "the boys' room."

They haven't tried to escape the room as much as I thought they would, but they also haven't slept as much as I thought they would.

They're averaging about nine hours of sleep per 24 hour period, where they used to be sleeping about 13 or 14 hours. The result is extremely whiny and sad twins and a cranky five year old who is being woken up before he's ready.

I feel like I am on edge all the time. It's insane. I can't count how many hours I've laid on the floor in that room stroking backs or eyebrows, reminding them to close their eyes, telling them to lay down, etc. They are SO tired all the time now, but they won't sleep when given the opportunity.

What gives?? What is it about bars on a crib that make a child sleep better? I thought at first maybe they just slept out of boredom when they'd wake up super early in the morning. But such is not the case. I make sure they're bored to death when I go in there to try to get them to sleep and yet they lie there, yawning and rubbing their eyes, determined to stay awake.

Goose has a small excuse in that he burned one of the fingers he sucks last Saturday and has been unable to sooth himself to sleep as he normally would. But after five days shouldn't the body be figuring out a new system??? And his twin, who can still suck his beloved fingers, is only sleeping ever so slightly more than Goose.

I am at a loss. Huge loss. Of logic and patience.

But. There have been nights when they're just so exhausted that they crash after only five reprimands to get back in bed instead of thirty. And tonight is one of those nights. It's bliss after the crazy day.

PLUS, Bret put the kids to bed while I was out at a meeting! Double bliss!

But I won't lie and say that I wasn't worried they'd still be fighting sleep when I arrived home. They were both zonked by the time I walked through the door. Triple bliss!

Poor little Jonzy was still awake though. He's a night owl. We make him go to bed at a decent hour, but he regularly lies awake in the dark just thinking since that's all he can do. What an obedient kid to stay in bed:) I hoping though, that with his brothers waking him up before he's used to that he'll start to fall asleep earlier at night.

Why can't sleep be simple? It seems like it should be.

But yes, long-winded story short: I am so thankful there are at least some times that the boys go to bed easily. It recharges my sanity batteries:)

What are you thankful for?

No comments: