Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Two words:

Air. Conditioning.

I don't know how people survived before air conditioning. How did they sleep??? I was talking to someone the other day about this very subject and voiced my amazement that anyone survived ye olden times without air conditioning. She, a global warming...ist, said that it wasn't as hot back then. I decided not to pursue the subject because I knew I'd seen stuff on the news about temps back in the day. You know the deal. How on record breaking days they'll post the high temperature and next to it the year that previously held the record? Yeah, that. I know I've seen at least years as early as the 1920s on those.

Come to read today that the heat wave the country has been enjoying has not happened since the 1880s! It was this hot in the 1880s?!?! Well yeah, duh Lindsey, of course it was.

But seriously! I understand how one could get used to this over time and by drinking lots of water and finding occasional shade and a nice pretty paper fan, such temperatures could be lived through. But HOW did they sleep?!?!

Right. Anyway. I am so extremely grateful for the uber amounts of comfort that our air conditioner gives us.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: