Saturday, January 16, 2010

Strange stranger comments

Every once in a while, I get a comment from a stranger that just baffles me.

Like people asking me whether my boys are triplets. That one is happening more often now that my twins look bigger in their stroller. I can understand it then, but when they're all walking together and there is such a stark difference in height and ability I'm quite confused by that one.

Or there's the classic, "You got enough kids there?" All I can do is shake my head in disbelief at that one.

And then there's this week's installment. A woman and I approached an elevator from opposite directions. I entered the elevator first, she followed and said, "Three boys?!?" I replied in the affirmative. She then said, "What were you thinking?!?"

I wondered whether she was asking about why in the world I had three children or why they were all boys (neither of which I had control over) while I turned the stroller around so Al and Goose didn't have to stare at the wall.

She saw that the boys in the stroller were obviously twins and said, "Oh. I see." I understood her to mean by that that she was a member of the two-or-less-children-only camp and that she realized I couldn't help having three since the last two came at the same time.

But then she threw this out this gem that has really got me confused: "I have four boys of my own."

...What?

1 comment:

korth fam said...

Next time reply with, "yeah but I have four girls at home" :)