Monday, April 4, 2011

On the job 24-7

Goose was sick all night between Saturday and Sunday. Throwing up sick:(

Call me crazy, but I think there's something they put in their food at Wendy's that doesn't agree with Goose's stomach. This isn't the first time he's been violently ill after eating food from Wendy's...

Anyway, it was one of those nights when I didn't get any sleep. Like...any. I never pulled an all-nighter in college. I've only done one or two because there was too much fun to be had with friends to consider sleeping. The rest have been all-nighters with sick kids. Thankfully, those are rare, too.

Goose got some sleep. Not a lot, but some. So why couldn't I sleep when he did?

I tried. Really I did.

After the first two episodes I tried to catch some z's in my bed only to lay there listening for any whimpers signaling a need to jump out of bed and grab the bucket. I was convinced that the second I started to drift he'd wake up and need help.

I was right:) But only because I'd spend thirty minutes or so staring at the ceiling before letting my eyes droop.

Once I went into the boys' room (after stubbing my toes and tripping over my shoes and into the door; so much for trying to let Bret sleep!) and was shocked to find Al was the one screaming.

A perfect night for nightmares to return.

I ended up laying down on the floor of the boys room, alternating between a sick Goose and a scared Al.

Oddly enough, neither of them ever woke the other up. And Jonz was clueless the next morning.

I finally went to bed at 7:50 and my wonderful husband let me sleep right up to the beginning of General Conference when he sent my sweet five year old up to whisper, "Mommy...conference is starting."

Why do I tell you all this? Because it was a night full of special moments.

Jonzy's whispered wake up call in the morning. Telling Al that no "scary stuff" could hurt him and he was safe in his bed and him replying with a sleepy, "okay," in typical Al fashion and saying, "I luhz you, Mom," through his fingers as he went back to sleep. Goose telling me that he wanted to "rock in the chair with my blanket," and playing with his hair while we rocked. Sitting on the floor of the boys' room and listening to their steady breathing while watching their sweet faces.

Beautiful moments throughout the rough night to remind me that the peace and joy found in the moments was more than enough to keep me happy without any sleep.

I love my 24/7 job! (especially when I can get a few hours of sleep:))

Have you had any moments lately that you'd like to share?

No comments: