Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Rough Patch, Thankful Thursday

I'm not very chipper lately. Last week I was in a funk and realized that I have been a huge slacker in my personal scripture study. Days when I study the scriptures in the past have always been happier days. So I re-committed to doing daily study again. It worked for a few days. And then I got slammed into an even bigger funk.

It was a bummer of a weekend. I don't even remember Saturday. Sunday was a bear with a highlight of some family coming over for the evening. Monday, hopes were high as we planned and executed a Fall Family Fun Day. But each high seemed so fleeting and each low seemed impossible to crawl out of.

Guess which days I didn't read my scriptures.

Tuesday was an oddity. I got up way before the boys and studied my heart out. But what a downer day it was! I could not shake the desire to do things only for me. I didn't do the me things, but that desire stuck right to me and took the joy out of pretty much everything I did do.

Things are looking up though. Wednesday was better than Tuesday, and Thursday's turning out to be okay. And I have HIGH hopes for Friday:)


I've been struggling a bit with God lately. One reason I do Thankful Thursday is so that I am regularly remembering how good I have it and the blessings I've been given. I do that for a few reasons; one being that I hope that if I feel and show gratitude for what I have that God won't feel the need to take things away from me. I know there are lessons to be learned beyond gratitude when a blessing is removed or denied, but I have yet to understand what I'm supposed to be learning these last couple weeks. I very much would like to just have an answer right now. But, as my heavenly Father knows, patience is not a strength for me and I suppose he's trying to teach me to have more of it.

Take, for instance, the minor yet frustrating issue of our dryer. Sunday night it worked, Monday night it didn't. Why? Why?!?!?!

Yes, it's a small issue, eternally speaking. An issue that, though possibly expensive, we can solve without immense hardship. But after everything that's been going on this just felt like a slap in the face.

And so, I will try to focus on the silver lining. I stress about the clothes dryer far too much. "Is lint caught in the exhaust?" "Is running the dryer going to end up burning down our house?" "How much money is this costing me to run?" Irrational stress, yes. But I can't help it. So, every once in a while I get the desire to chuck the dryer and line-dry our clothes. With the busting of our dryer (and the fact that our new house has a laundry room that does not make me think a spider will jump out at me every time I move in it) this possibility presented itself to me again. More than a desire, this time I'm actually really excited by the idea.

And so we are going to move forward with it. We'll string up an apparatus in the laundry room for the winter. And I'm going to try to figure out where in the world we can get a hold of one of those awesome "tree" things to put outside for when the weather turns pleasant again.

Bret wants to have a dryer as back up. And for good reason. My past track record in staying on top of the laundry is anything but squeaky clean. I'm off to find a cheap temp dryer on online classifieds to be our back up while Bret tinkers with our kaput dryer to see if he can fix it.

Isn't this exciting? Even in the dumb times, there's stuff to be thankful for. What are you thankful for today?

And any tips from the experienced dryer-less crowd would be appreciated.

No comments: