Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Lucky for all of you that are waiting on pins and needles for Thankful Thursday...siiiigh, okay. Lucky for those of you who drop by every once in awhile, I got internet service turned on in the new digs- just in time for a Thankful Thursday post.

Do you know what today is? I mean, besides Thankful Thursday. It's September 17th! And that, dear friends, is a very special day over here in the United States of America. September 17th is Constitution Day! Today is a holiday because on this day in 1787, the US Constitution was signed into being.

And so, today I am extra thankful for the Constitution and the government it instituted. Granted, I believe said government has strayed into unhappy territory. And that straying, I believe, is due to the straying of the people.

Side note:

I love this quote from John Adams, second President of the United States-

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other."

And so, while I fear we are becoming a far too immoral and nonreligious people, I am thankful that the Constitution is not yet inadequate and hope it never becomes such.

Happy Constitution Day!!!!

4 comments:

Jordan McCollum said...

Thanks for the reminder. I can't believe I (former American Heritage TA) didn't remember before this.

Anonymous said...

Love that quote. I've always wondered how gallantry made it onto that list. I generally don't think of that as a trait that's a danger to the constitution. What do you suppose he meant by that?

Lindsey said...

You know, come to think of it I don't really know what gallantry means...I've always equated it in my head as good manners, chivalrous, that kind of thing. If that's the meaning, then what I understand from it is that there's such a thing as too much of a good thing. Just because people want the best of everything for everyone doesn't mean that the government should be the entity to provide it all. The knight in shining armor riding in to pay for everyone's healthcare, kind of thing.
What do you think?

Anonymous said...

You mean, you don't think John Adams would approve of Obamacare?!?! You closed-minded bigot!