Wednesday, August 24, 2011

1. Repentance

I'm finally starting the in depth look at the Do Not Despair article! *yaaaaaaaaay!*

**Disclaimer: These posts are in no way claiming that my experiences are the only way these things happen, that my choices are the only correct ones to make, or that I think myself better than anyone who experienced otherwise or chose differently. These are my experiences (though not the complete story; I fully intend on going to my grave being the only one who knows the complete story. Unless of course sharing some things would help someone I know...so maybe a few more will know before I die.). These are my choices and decisions. This is my story and what is working for me. I do believe it could help others though, so I'm sharing and discussing. Please don't judge me harshly if you disagree with me. Many thanks:)**

President Benson wrote this article back in 1986. What he wrote was true then and even more so now. Particularly this:

"Satan is increasingly striving to overcome the Saints with despair, discouragement, despondency, and depression."

Jerk.

But!!- "To help us from being overcome by the devil’s designs of despair, discouragement, depression, and despondency, the Lord has provided at least a dozen ways which, if followed, will lift our spirits and send us on our way rejoicing."

Whew.

Those of you who have been reading for a while know that I believe depression is rooted in temptation.

So let's get into the first thing Pres. Benson mentioned. Repentance.

***I started writing this three days ago and hit a road block (or better said, writer's block) right here when I was going to start writing about my own experience with this aspect on the road to rejoicing. My mind reverted back to a jumble of disconnected thoughts and I couldn't think of how best to write it out.

I've decided that my experiences with repentance and depression are just too close to the heart to share with the world at large (however small my readership may be).

So I'm going to continue to keep it close and just share some thoughts and scriptures with you on this subject.

First, I love how President Benson included a quote from Abraham Lincoln.

"When I do good I feel good, and when I do bad I feel bad."

Lincoln is often quoted on depression, and regularly in a tone that seems to say "it is how it is, so stop telling me to just be happy, punks." My opinion is that Lincoln had a much harder life than the majority of us, but he still managed to see that he was responsible for his emotions and he would employ whatever degree of power he had in improving them. What an example! I like that guy:)

And to conclude, here's a couple scriptures that have been especially insightful and poignant for me when studying about repentance:
"Preach unto them repentance, and faith on the Lord Jesus Christ; teach them to humble themselves and to be meek and lowly in heart; teach them to withstand every temptation of the devil, with their faith on the Lord Jesus Christ." Alma 37:33

"And after their temptations and much tribulation, behold, I, the Lord, will feel after them, and if they harden not their hearts, and stiffen not their necks against me, they shall be converted, and I will heal them." Doctrine and Covenants 112:13

Thoughts?

P.S. The font was reverting to italics when I didn't want it to and nothing would fix it. So i got into the html code and after a few tweaks, I managed to fix it. I feel so smart!:)

No comments: