Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Time to think about all my blessings again!

This week I've been very thankful for the way my kids talk...or "talk" as the case may be. It's such a source of humor and joy for me. I love it when the little guys learn a new word or try to learn a new word, but can't spit it out anywhere near right.

Al loves being tickled and has interpreted my saying, "tickle, tickle, tickle," into "leeko, leeko, leeko!" He also learned the word "down" this week and I love to hear him say "doooooooowwwwwn" or another new one, "sar-lll" (cereal). And I love the way he sticks his lips out when he says his favorite word, "shoe."

Goose is not as into language as Al. He kind of gives off the I'm-too-cool-for-that vibe. The best way to communicate with Goose is to ask him yes or no questions. Questions that can be answered yes will be answered with an "uh" or "mmmm" and a nod of the head. Questions that he wants to answer no to will just be ignored. It's a strange game he plays, trying to get us to ask the right question so he can say yes.

I understand what Jonz is trying to say to me most of the time. "Can I have some milk, please?" is very clear. But sometimes, I have no idea what he's saying. When coloring recently, Jonzy says to me, "That's a monster," pointing to a bunch of circles. After coloring a smaller, similar looking bunch next to the "monster" I said, "Is that a baby monster?"

"No. It's a walkerlay with a squirrel."

..........

It's a what?

This is a funny stage. A stage where 99% of the words that come out of his mouth are distinguishable, but 40% of the content just doesn't make sense! I'm entering a new stage of teaching, trying to figure out how to teach sentence structure to a four year old. It's more complicated than I thought it would be. But getting to teach sentence structure to one and vocabulary to two others is also turning out to be much more fun than I thought it would be. I'm lovin' this mommy business:)

1 comment:

korth fam said...

they need a "like button" on blogs, like they have a facebook, because I liked this :)