Thursday, March 5, 2009

Branching out

I made hummus!

Or at least, I think I made hummus. I've never actually tasted or even seen the stuff so I'm not sure if what I made really truly counts. I don't know what it's supposed to taste like. I don't know what the proper texture is. I know I used the right ingredients, but not sure if I used the proper amounts for optimal taste and texture. But whatever I made, it tastes good:)


When I got it into my head that I wanted to make hummus, I was a bit blown away by the amount of recipes for it online. And online recipe sites are such a joke to me. I find a recipe that looks promising and look into the reviews to see if people actually liked how it turns out. That's where it all goes wrong. It seems that the only people who review recipes never follow one themselves.

A common review will read something like this: "Thanks for the recipe. It's great! My family raved over it. I liked that you thought to add ____; I put in ____ instead and it really added a kick. I didn't use the ____ that you did, I like ____ much better in these circumstances. Oh, and I think that you should use 2 C of ____ instead of 1 C; it really worked great for me when I made this dish. Thanks again!"
Okay.....
So, I decided to find the common ingredients and ranges of amounts and wing it. My first job of completely winging something I've never tasted before turned out pleasantly. Now I just need to find someone who knows what it's supposed to taste like to tell me if I'm on the right track or not.

3 comments:

Melanee said...

That sounds really good! I've been wanting to try making hummus, too (isn't that funny?) but had the same problem with the wide range of recipes to choose from. I also have problems with laziness and lack of motivation. But this post has inspired me and I'm totally going to try it now.

Jen said...

So call me ignorant, but what do you do with hummus? Did you eat it with or on something? I bet the Gills know how it is supposed to taste since they are from the Middle East where it apparently originated--you'll have to ask them.
Your online recipe search analogy cracked me up. That is exactly how it is with the reviews and stuff. I always do what you did--read a few recipes, get the main ingredients and go for it!!

Unknown said...

This post reminds me of my Mum! She swears by it lol - personally I hate the stuff but it does smell nice! :) X.