Tuesday, February 17, 2009

How poetic

Way back when, I came across a poem about being a mother of twins. It was nice, but a little too (for lack of a better word) sappy for my taste. Don't get me wrong, I love sappy things; but this poem was trying just a little too hard to make you say, "awwwwww." Though it's been known to happen, I'm rarely in the mood to be coerced into saying, "awwwwww." I'd much rather come to that conclusion all by my onesies. And yet, I really liked it. Mostly because it contained the sentence, "Why was I chosen to be a mother of twins?" This is a question that I am often asking God. I don't question nearly as much as I used to. But I tell you what, those first few weeks in newborn twindom had me constantly asking God different versions of this question.
"Why did you send them to me? I can't do this!"
"Do you really honestly truly think I'm capable of doing this?"
"Are you sure you didn't confuse me with some other woman?"
Honestly, in the beginning I was having a constant conversation with Him in my head. Fairly one-sided, but still...it's a good thing He's patient with me:)

Anyway, in a strange state I read that poem again and decided to build on it. I tweaked the first half, and threw out the second part which was replaced by my own creation. The original was by the infamous "Unknown" so I suppose this new collection of words can be credited to me and Unknown.

I am by no means a poet. And though it's slightly embarrassing to post a poem that highlights my ineptitude at poetry, I'm doing it anyway. So with out further ado, here it is:

There's two to wash, there's two to dry.
There's two who argue, there's two who cry.
One's in the mud having a ball.
The other holds a crayon, another marked wall.

Some days seem endless, my patience grows thin.
Why was I chosen to be a mother of twins?!
It's hard not to question, when the going gets tough.
It helps that God thinks I've got the stuff.
If He says I can do this, I suppose that I can.
With His help, I can raise great men.

And here's a scripture I love, to add to the message:

Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things.
Alma 26:12

P.S. I don't consider myself to be any different from your run-of-the-mill mom. I know that it's a challenge to raise children, whether they come more than one at a time or not. So, even if you moms reading this don't have twins, consider this an ode to you and a reminder that we're not in this alone.

P.P.S. As for myself, I haven't had much experience with twins getting into trouble yet. The majority of my experience with the first part of this poem comes from my oldest, who may as well be triplets.

No comments: