Monday, December 8, 2008

Thankful Thursday

Today I am thankful that I am not raising my boys 100 years ago, even 50 years ago. I am grateful to be in the here and now when access to a washing machine and dryer is fairly easy. A time when laundry detergents are quite good at getting things clean. A time when I have extra linens in the closet and more than a few outfits for each of my children.

Why? Because there is a certain stomach bug that is working it's way through each of my boys and it hit upon W with a vengeance last night. Because of these modern comforts, we were all able to get some sleep last night once W had emptied his stomach and we'd gone through many sheets and pajamas.

Instead of staying up all night scrubbing out linens and hanging them by the fire hoping they would be dry by the time we needed them again I was able to toss everything in the washer, wait up a bit longer, toss everything in the dryer and get some sleep. An extra blessing from having all these things, I was rested enough that when I went in to get the boys this morning I didn't burst a vein in frustration at finding A and his bed covered in the bane of my existence.

I can only imagine the kind of nights mothers used to have when their kids were sick with stomach viruses. I shudder to think of it.

In happier news, I'm also grateful for the sounds of Bing Crosby singing Christmas songs filling my home. Beautiful!

Anyone else want to jump on the Thankful Thursday train?

Originally written: December 4, 2008

No comments: