Saturday, September 6, 2014

Family Mission Statement

So...years and years ago I posted on here that I was in the process of creating a family mission statement.

I am happy to report that it is finally, FINALLY...out of pre-production:)

We have a family mission statement!

My first attempt at turning it into something cute for our wall failed miserably. I'm now thinking of going a different route. Which is probably good. I think it will be even more eye catching...If I can actually pull it off.

But- here it is:

honest
joyful
wise
responsible
considerate
remember:
"Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence." Doctrine & Covenants 4:6

I decided to keep it simple. We prayerfully wrote out a list of attributes we want our boys to embody. Then we combined similar traits and shortened the list. Then we picked out words that had a letter from our last name. I'm going to capitalize that letter in each word and have them all wonky on the wall so that it spells out our last name. It's going to be awesome. Sorry you don't get to see it, but as our last name is not all that common I have to keep it off the internets. You'll just have to use your imagination.

We decided that the last word had to be remember so that we could use that awesome scripture (which, fortunately, contains a bunch for traits we'd like our boys to develop).

So far, so good.

It's simple and easy to memorize. We take five minutes out of FHE each week to talk about one word and how we can better live that word and become more honest, joyful, wise, responsible, considerate, or remember...ful.

It's awesome. And it will be a lot more awesome once we actually get it on our wall.

Anyway...thought I'd check in with that. You know, since it's been months since I posted (we've been moving. And settling. And super busy).

But yeah. There it is.

YAY!

If I can do it, so can you! Go forth and create a family mission statement:)

No comments: