Thursday, June 7, 2012

Stability

I'm tired of not knowing what to expect.

Life seems to be one big mass of unknowns.  Just when something gets settled or resolved, two more unknowns pile onto the plate.

I feel like most of the major aspects of my life are "we'll see's."  You know:

"We'll see how this ends in a few months." "Hopefully we'll see how this goes soon."  "I guess we'll just have to wait and see."  "One day we'll see why things are happening this way."

Way back in my university days, I was studying a political theory in a class.  I can't even remember what the theory was...Marx is ringing a bell.  But I do remember that a table with blocks or such was involved and that things came crashing down when the table was removed.  Boy am I slaughtering this!  This would probably be so much cooler and make so much more sense if we were working with a full theory, but I have no inclination to search for it so you'll just have to roll with me...

The important thing I remember is discussing said theory with Bret.  He shared with me something that he had been taught in relation to this theory.  And if only one thing about this sticks with me, I'm very thankful it was this:

In life, there are a number of things we can place as our "table" and stack our life-blocks on top of.  Some people build their lives on tables of fame, intelligence, wealth, athleticism, beauty, etc.  Some people build the lives on seemingly more stable tables (I like that- stable tables:)) like friends, a job, church, or family. 

Absolutely all of these tables can be taken out from under us, thereby bring our world crashing down into one jumbled, lost, and sorry mess.

The wise thing to do is to have our table be a sure foundation; something that can't be and won't be taken away from us.

The one and only thing that could possibly be...Jesus Christ.

 Block pyramids may shake as certain foundational blocks are removed, life may bring blocks crashing to the table, but with our ever faithful Savior underneath us we can always rebuild.

I AM tired of the "we'll see's."  But I am thankful for a loving Savior who comforts and supports me as I take each step into the foggy future.

And I am thankful for this:
Yea, they shall not be beaten down by the storm at the last day; 
yea, neither shall they be harrowed up by the whirlwinds; 
but when the storm cometh they shall be gathered together in their place, 
that the storm cannot penetrate to them; 
yea, neither shall they be driven with fierce winds 
whithersoever the enemy listeth to carry them.
But behold, they are in the hands of the Lord of the harvest, 
and they are his; and he will raise them up at the last day.
Blessed be the name of our God; let us sing to his praise, 
yea, let us give thanks to his holy name, 
for he doth work righteousness forever.
Alma 26: 6-8
What are you thankful for today?

No comments: