Saturday, July 14, 2012

Mixed emotions

My ten year high school reunion is happening next week. 

I have never planned on going.  Even when I graduated, I figured it wouldn't be high on my priority list to ever make the effort of attending a reunion.  Now that the first one is actually here, there are many reasons I'm not going:
  • I don't live in the same state anymore. 
  • I have three children and travelling with or without them is way too complicated to undertake for anything less than visiting family/weddings/funerals/etc.
  • I'd rather spend money on doing something fun with my family here instead of getting over there.
  • What I've chosen to do with my life is not popular and I don't want to go to the expense and hassle to get there only to have it be a night full of fake smiles and judgement or pity.
  • Because of facebook, I know the generals about many classmates and my curiosity is satisfied with those simple details.
  • A friend got married in June which provided opportunity to visit my home state and gathered together 95% of the people I would want to see at a reunion anyway.
So- I knew I wouldn't be going to a reunion.  And I'm not at all upset about it.

Not gonna lie though, I'm a bit bummed. 

Why?

Well, because nothing says, "You were so easily forgotten and no one cares," like not getting invited to your own class reunion.

Or to be more clear- nothing says, "you were so easily forgotten and no one cares," like not getting invited to your own class reunion when your graduating class was only 142, facebook makes it easy to find everyone these days, and people from the classes a year ahead and behind ours are being invited.

It's this strange mix of emotions.  Most of me is feeling, "eh, whatevs."  But a bit of me is feeling, "ouch."

High school really does never end;)

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh hunny bunny - that's awful! I didn't even know about this until I read it here! The good thing is there were lots of good times for you while you were there, but now, as Donna Read says, "after that who cares!" You're the best and I love you!